What are some best growth retention practices tips and user engagement strategies that developers can use after launching a new mobile app? Check out below what Sunil Thomas, CEO for CleverTap recommends.
As a first step towards engagement, you should understand what your current user engagement is.
There are two basic steps:
- track your daily un-installs … how many people un-install your app daily
- track your app-launch to app-launch retention cohorts … for people who open your app, how often do they come back and open it again … is it everyday for 50% of your users? is it every week? is it every month? or so on
With these two pieces of data you can work on your engagement strategy:
- using timely, relevant and contextual push notifications is a great way to get your non-returning users back. (if the notifications are not timely and relevant, you will risk loosing them also)
- adapting your app to your users behavior is a good tactic also…but takes good design and development effort. For example, if a news app shows me more sports stories because that’s what I read a lot is good for me. If a movie ticketing app highlights the venue that I always go to on the top of the screen, its great.
- re-targeting to your users when they are in other platforms like Facebook or simply browsing other sites is also a proven way to improve engagement (this does cost you money for advertising though)
Overall the magic word towards user engagement is PERSONALIZATION. The more ways you can find to make your users feel recognized and treat them as individuals, you will win!
For more developers tips and tricks, check out our recent blog article on how to build a top ten mobile app.