With over 30 million apps in the Google Play Store and iOS collectively, smartphone users have a variety of choices. Successfully launching your app and then getting is discovered and downloaded by the users is a herculean task by itself. If your app is liked by mobile users and your app is getting the desired number of downloads, it is the time your start working on your next significant milestone towards app success – User engagement and retention.
A quick onboarding process, a user-friendly and clutter-free interface is the first basic step towards user engagement. A user goes through several mobile moments in a product life-cycle before he converts into a buyer. The user needs to be actively engaged with the app at each step to lead to faster conversion.
Listed below are the four stages that a user undergoes though a product life-cycle.
- Installing App
- Finding/ Viewing Product
- Add to Cart/ Wish list / Share
Engagement efforts can be targeted according to the user’s position in the product life-cycle.
- Advertising App to drive downloads
- Push notification about relevant or searched products
- Notifications about availability of products or services searched
- Discounts/ freebies / offers available on products in cart/ wish list
We have composed a list of tools that can be used to drive user engagement towards the app once the app has already been downloaded.
- Developing an app that offers easy navigation and search option within the app is the first step towards engagement. Users are known to hit the uninstall button or forget about the app quickly if they find the interface to be complex or the onboarding process time-consuming. The key is to keep it simple.
- Surprise the user with relevant and interesting content. Boring, repetitive and irrelevant content will only drive the user away from your app. Make the content interesting by using pictures, info-graphics and videos to establish a connect.
- Track user behavior and send relevant information to the user about the products and services available in your app. We can safely assume that a user who has searched and purchased fitness products in the past would like to hear about a new gym in the neighborhood or the newly launched fitness equipment. Relevant updates are sure to interest the user.
- Push notifications that pop-up on the device screen are an excellent way to engage the user with the app. Irrelevant and untimely push notifications could be quite annoying. Use analytics to find how to send the most appropriate notifications at the right time.
- Segment users by demographics. Send in-app or push notifications to users by segmenting them by demographics. Segmenting users by age, city, sex or past purchase history and notifying them accordingly can boost the engagement.
- Use cohorts to group users in different stages of their product lifecycle. If a user has added the product to cart or wish list and not returned to purchase it for a given time. You could engage them by sending automated reminders, updates or promotional codes/ discounts to lead to conversion.
- A pre-defined fixed period of inactivity for a user can qualify for a message or notification. Data scientists at CleverTap can help design an appropriate campaign to engage every user based on the drop in their average usage.