What are the key success metrics for tracking app engagement using segmentation? The time spent on your site/app by users and the relevant metrics are obviously important for engagement but segmenting users by past behavior can increase not only retention for your app but revenue.
There are a variety of user behavior analytic questions and metrics a developer or marketer should identify and track.
- Acquisition – Where did your app users come from?
- Engagement – How are they interacting with your app?
- Outcome – What are your conversion goals for your app?
- Retention – What is the 1, 7 and 30 day retention of your app?
- Quality – What type of users does your app attract?
- Behavior – What time of day do most of your app users connect?
In a recent Quora post, Sunil Thomas the CEO for CleverTap identified the core strategy for driving user engagement is user segmentation, and specifically your ability to:
- Break down your users into smaller segments based on behavior
- Move these segments up the engagement ladder with a combination of product features AND timely, relevant and personalized messaging
He recommends that you put an event tracking analytics tool in place as the first step to instrument your website and mobile apps.
Also, he added the following mobile engagement tips:
- Use funnel reports to understand user drop-offs across critical flows/paths within your app.
- Use retention cohort reports to understand your user retention.
- Use segmentation to bucket users via. funnels, via. cohorts, via. behavior and demographic data and create app experience for these different segments to move them along to the next logical segment.
His previous blog. You should check out and use as your platform to do all this work within your app. We provide all the functionality above and our customer success team would love to work with you and help you design the best events to track etc. for your specific app/website.