Launching a marketing campaign for your new mobile app can be a challenge for most mobile developers. Only 15% of all companies have a marketing budget for app promotion after they’ve published it. How can mobile app developers and marketers drive engagement and organic growth without a large advertising budget? By applying these five key steps to mobile app marketing.
- Mobile App’s Name and Description – Choosing your mobile app’s name can be one of the most difficult tasks in the development process. The right title and description will increase your visibility in both app stores and will assist in your optimization efforts. First, your app name should be unique, memorable and easy to pronounce. Second, check availability and run a trademark search of the app name you’ve chosen. Third, the name should be descriptive and relate to the app’s core functionality. It ensures high discoverability in search and brand protection in case of copyright infringement. Fourth, the mobile app description should be clear and use category-specific keywords. Potentially, app store optimization can increase your daily downloads by 10-15 percent.
- The Importance of App Icon and Screenshot Design – Designing your app store icons and screenshots are critical to the success or failure of your app. Users can make the decision to download an unfamiliar app strictly because of the icon design, screenshots and app store rating. The app store icon can be even more important than the name. It should express the app purpose and it’s important to think about what marketing channels it will appear in. Great looking screenshots should reflect the key app features, provide actual screen content of the app while running, and should showcase the user experience. Together, the app store icon and screenshots tell a story and is the number one tool for making your app stand out in a crowd.
- Drive Mobile Success With Word of Mouth Marketing – Today, competition in the mobile app market space is fierce. The first week of your product launch is critical to your app success. Some apps can get to the Top 100 in a matter of days, especially if they started building buzz around their app during the pre-launch phase. Using the right marketing tools and engagement platform are essential to a successful word of mouth marketing campaign. How do you get people to talk about your app online and share on social media? How do you get people to recommend your app to others? Buying downloads of your app is expensive and may only offer short-term success for your app. The most important step is to get social. Build out your social media channels on Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube to maximize your success. Prior to launch, this will allow you to create buzz around your new app, and use your network of friends to spread the word. Also, define who your target audience is and reach out to relevant bloggers, who may want to review your app and write an article about it. Content posts on geek forums and other Internet destinations can be essential tools to build brand awareness prior to launch also.
- Define Your Mobile App’s Marketing Potential – Sadly, most apps fail, and it makes app market research even more critical. Does your mobile app have rock star potential? How many competitors are there in your app category? Researching whom your key competitors first, can provide insight on which audience you should target. Also, define what app features make yours more appealing than your competitors and use that information to your advantage. Even though your app might have a narrow niche, it can still bring you moderate profits and perhaps make your app a market leader in that space. Prior to launch, plan a beta test of your app first and get feedback. It’s easier to update your mobile app before launch versus after. Plan your app release in advance, use the press and social media to build buzz around your app launch.
- Unite Your Marketing Channels With One Brand Message – Your website, social media channels, video, newsletter and push notifications should all support one brand message behind your mobile app brand. A solid engagement strategy can increase app loyalty and drive engagement. With push notifications, you can create a direct conversation with your loyal users. You can send updates, daily reminders, offer promo code discounts, in-app purchases, contest promotions, announce events and create continued engagement with your app.
Whether your mobile marketing strategy includes mobile messaging or app push notifications, it is critical to understand your target audience’s needs first. In the long run, choosing the right mobile engagement platform will be critical to your apps success.